Whenever I make Old Fashioned Spaghetti Sauce, I always freeze a couple of pints. These make great back up dinner meals on hectic weeknights. Just thaw, reheat and serve over spaghetti noodles or use to make any number of other pasta dishes.
Weeknight Baked Ziti
: Janet Childs
- 1 pint frozen Old Fashioned Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 cup dried ziti or penne pasta
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ⅔ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring salted water to a boil. Meanwhile reheat spaghetti sauce over low heat
- Cook pasta as directed on box. Remove from heat and drain. Return noodles to pan, add half of the spaghetti sauce and stir until thoroughly coated. Transfer sauce covered pasta immediately to baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together ricotta and Parmesan cheeses. Using a spoon, place dollops of cheese mixture evenly over pasta. Cover with remaining spaghetti sauce. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Place baking dish under broiler until cheese has melted and begins to brown.
- Serves two.
I often pop the frozen sauce out of its container and place directly into a small pan to reheat. Just be sure to keep the heat low, stirring often. By the time your noodles are ready, your sauce should be nice and hot.